Thursday 12 August 2010

The Retro Rides Gathering 2010...



The second weekend of August was a time of much merriment for hundreds of retro car lovers from all over the UK and Europe. In deepest, darkest Somerset there lies a museum, a place filled to the brim with cars of all shapes and sizes. There is a Zodiac hot-rod in there and a cutaway Sierra Cosworth amongst others, but no one really cared about that. No, what drew the crowds were the hundreds of eclectic, eccentric and exciting cars that belong to the members of the Retro Rides forum. This isn't just a car show, this is the definitive car show for the discerning fan of cars gone by. Slammed Mercedes, high-riding 4x4s, track prepped and V8 powered BMW's and mintier than mint VW Campers made up for a small portion of the attendees. Those who know about it call it 'the show of the year' whereas those who have never been soon put it high on their list once they've soaked up the atmosphere. In a nutshell, it's an epic weekend and for 2010 it would be even better because the Zodiac would be there with me!





It went down a storm, people reacted so well to it. I was a little taken back by the whole thing to be honest. What really made people smile though, was my willingness to let people have a go. Why not though? After all, it wouldn't have been there were it not for the hard work that so many people put in, so the least I could do was let them have a drive around the campsite. Plus, it was pretty entertaining watching people try and use/get freaked out by the notion of a three-speed column-change manual transmission. I'm used to it now, but some folk were baffled at the concept!

It did me so proud, and the weekend itself was a major mojo booster too. A well needed holiday you might say. I even slept in the Z for two nights in a row and can confirm that it's bloody comfortable, despite me being 6ft 3!

RRG10 was the Z's first show, and what a way to introduce it to the world of camping, beer, banter, cools cars and good mates. That weekend will live with me for a long time to come!

Sadly though, the drive back to Area 52, over the steep Mendip Hills has killed what was left of the clutch, so I'm kind of back to the drawing board in terms of it being a functioning car. I don't care though, it was worth it. Plus I have a clutch in the boot, all I have to do is fit it now...old cars eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment