Wednesday 21 July 2010

It's not going well...



Brilliant! Old cars eh, who'd have them? Well, for the best part, me. As ever though my particular brand of automotive luck has reared it's annoying head and struck the Zodiac down in its prime. Not only that, it had the good grace make my car break down in Bracknell. Nobody wants to be broken down in Bracknell.

There was some coughing and spluttering all morning, but I put it down to something in fuel. As I trundled through Bracknell however, it became a bit more severe and the car stopped and then decided to not start again. I did some investigation, but couldn't see any issues so I called the breakdown people and they recovered me to Area 52 in Bristol. That's where we figured out the problem...



..turns out the monkey bargain bucket electronic ignition had failed, resulting in a dead car. The six0pointed lobe had smashed the granny out of the magnetic pick up which had shifted at some point. The most annoying bit though, is that we couldn't save it as the lobe isn't the original one, so a simple swap back to points and condenser isn't the simple option we hoped it would have been.

Luckily though, there was space for the Zodiac to live in at Area 52, so as I type it's residing there. There is a new dizzy on the way thanks to Zodiac Motor Services too, so it should all be up and running by the weekend.

All I have to do after that is fit the clutch, and no doubt wait for the next thing to go wrong. Old cars, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment