Wednesday 7 July 2010

The MOT-day road trip!

Owning an old car is a joy, not a chore. As such, it's only right that adventures are had at any given opportunity. That said, it's always the impromptu ones which are the best, just like the one had by myself and two good mates on the day of the MoT.

The test was at 11am, so I rocked up to Area 52, the Zodiac's surrogate home, at around 10:30am. Half an hour was plenty of time to get to the garage...right? "Who's doing the MoT?" asked Bruce. "Oh, Tim said he'd do it" says I. "And it's at 11am, right?" enquired Bruce...

Turns out I'm a geographical recluse, as I'd confused Westbury-on-Trym (10 minutes away) with Tim's location of Westbury...which is not 10 minutes away, not by a long shot!

An apologetic call was made to Tim, we went into panic mode and maps, people, cameras, a dog, a Bruce, myself and bloke from Wales all got piled into the Z. The MoT adventure was on!

Photobucket

We attacked Wiltshire and Somerset in true retro straight-six-burbling power! Spirits were high and banter was flowing, and to be honest, at this point I really wasn't concerned about the car passing an MoT, I was just enjoying the ride. I had high hopes though, which also alleviated my pre-MoT worries. With that in mind, we were off to the MoT station...

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

...and as you know from my last post, it passed! Whoo-yeah!

*Chris does un-rhythmic happy dance*

Then we were on with the journey, and next on the list was tax. Normally a painful investment, taxing this car was a joy. But why wouldn't it be? After all, it cost a meager £0.00 to take the old girl for 12 months. Nice!

After that we headed home via a different route through Bath. Then we stopped off to see friends in a local pub, while having a refreshing pint of lemonade. Well, I was on lemonade, Bruce samples the local cider!

Drinks downed, we headed back to area 52 at a steady, burbly pace and it was quite simply brill. An MoT is only an hour-ong affair t most people, but we made it an adventure. As a day out in an old car goes, this was one of the best! Next time you take your old car for an MoT I suggest you book it at a distant garage and make the most out of the journey. We did, and it was brill!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment